Sunday, July 1, 2012

"We know by experience that His promises are good and that He is abundantly able to supply our needs out of His storehouse where He keeps universes, worlds, moons, stars. In His other storehouse He has grace unbounded, billows of love on oceans of care for His own, mountains of patience and other good things abundantly above all that we can ask or think. Isn't it a crime that we are often so slow to accept these gifts?" -Nate Saint
          
Walking through the city
 So I am beginning to fall in love with this place. It’s been really striking to me the past couple days to see the ways that J.R. and Becky are so connected to this place, these people. We drive around the city running errands and pass five or so people at the very least who recognize and greet them warmly. This city is small enough to be very personal, but not so small that it is claustrophobic. I’m beginning to see the beauty in the buildings and faces as well as the mountains which surround us. This city is precious and beautiful. And I am beyond thankful to be here :)

The past few days have been full and wonderful…yesterday we did a fair amount of work around the house here, including building a little gate to put up below the stairs of our bungalow to keep the puppies out at night. We built it completely out of recycled materials and it turned out wonderfully :) Not huge projects, but continuing to learn about and build relationships with the girls here by doing life together. Charis and I found out yesterday that we will not be moving up higher into the mountains but rather sticking around here in Tarma and just going up to Huaricolca to visit and help with the youth group when they need us. I’m really so excited about this change of plans because it means we will be closer to those we have been building relationships with already, still be able to speak Spanish 24/7 with Rosey the housekeeper, and have so many more opportunities to plug in to ministries here in the city. Continuing to learn to lay down expectations and watch as God makes plans far better than our own :) As J.R. and Becky would say “Make sure to drink your flexi-juice.”


Teaching Sunday School this morning :)
As for today, in the morning  one of the local pastors stopped by after breakfast and talked with us about all sorts of different ministries we will be able to join in with over the next few weeks. So many opportunities! Things such as…running multiple VBS programs with the help of the local youth group; giving our testimonies of why we want to be here in Tarma to one church; leading childrens Sunday school in another…the list goes on. It seems like everywhere I turn, God is opening one more door, tacking on one more blessing.

For example, tonight Charis and I attended the final seminar for a youth conference which is going on just around the corner here. Three children came and picked us up from the house to show us the way and it was such a blast to just walk and talk and even ask questions in Spanish. Not to mention, after arriving at the worship service, we all ate dinner together and a couple girls we walked with asked me if I would tell them my story, my testimony. So for the first time in my life, I shared my entire testimony in another language :) Holy cow-God is crazy powerful. I think this held even more meaning for me because not 24 hours before, Charis and I had been talking about how discouraged I was by this language because all I want to do is learn and connect and I’ve felt trapped by my lack of knowledge. But today God opened multiple doors for me to lean on His strength and humbly speak the best I was able. Realizing that God doesn’t need my eloquence to have His Holy Spirit at work  both in me as well as those around me was extremely humbling as well as needed. I’m so thankful for His encouragement and ability to use the little I have.

So many blessings, so many opportunities. So that His Name may be glorified and not mine :) Lord you are so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment