Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Mustard Seeds



"The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a sower took and planted in his field. Mustard seeds are minute, tiny-but the seeds grow into trees. Flocks of birds can come and build their nests in the branches." -Jesus                                             
So last week I was very discouraged here in Tarma. I was overwhelmed by the hurt that I saw in the world surrounding me, struggling with the frustration of a language barrier and not knowing what the Lord wanted me to do or how to help. This city is so broken, torn by broken relationships and struggling to get by. Lonely children, fathers and mothers who know little to nothing about a God who created them for a love relationship with Him. As Charis and I have been working with a village tutoring program as well as planning a VBS framework alongside a group of teens, its heartbreaking to see the reality that children simply do not understand they can know a Savior, a Heavenly Father who will not leave them, and a best friend. After teaching sunday school this past sunday, Charis and I were walking through the local supermarket when a little girl walked in front of us, pointed to our Bibles and asked "Do you know about God? Can you tell me about Him?" There is hurt here- but at the same time, there is a very great hope for healing, for new life. What has been difficult for me is seeing this hurt on one hand and hope on the other, and yet remaining held back by a barrier of language I am only beginning to understand. Its beautiful to watch Charis explain who Jesus is in a supermarket, or translate pieces of a sermon so I can better understand. But that doesn't help answer the question, "Lord God, why on earth am I here?"

Earlier this week, Charis let me take a look at a new translation of the Bible she has been reading, called "The Voice". Skeptical at first, I looked over the way this translation had been written and was incredibly surprised not only by its accuracy and care but by its attention to the passion of God's Word. I felt as if I were a dry sponge wanting to soak up as much of Gods Word as my energy would let me, and had soon flown through Matthew, learning new things on every page.

As I was reading Matthew 13 on Saturday, God pointed out the verse above to me which had never really caught my attention before, though I'm sure my eyes have looked over it more times than I can count. It pointed out that God's kingdom isn't just about big things or huge projects. It isn't about long sermons or the perfect program. Yes, God can and does use those things. But at the same time, the Lord loves to use the mustard seeds of our faith. The smallest things that come simply from being faithful and full of trust. I mean, who knows, maybe I will fly out of Peru having mastered the art of holding a conversation in Spanish. Probably not. But what God pointed out so clearly is that being in this new place is not so much about the words that I can speak as much as being full of Him, and faithful with what I have been given. Faithful in planting mustard seeds, among His children, in His garden.

This city is still broken, and pieces of it will remain broken until Christ comes back to earth. But I'm learning that God can still bring healing to the small, intimate places of this city, and that He doesn't need my skillset to use me in that. He desires for us to be faithful where ever He has us, and to keep trusting He has a plan for our littlest acts of faith. God is here in Tarma, as He is whereever you are. Please be praying with me for His seeds to take root, and for His love to shine brightly as we listen. Thanks for your prayers so far- Jesus is answering :)

No comments:

Post a Comment